Ten days of community celebrations will begin this Friday (5 Oct) for the Houghton Feast 2018 – The Greatest Show.
A full programme of activities, events and entertainment has been put together for the annual event.
The event was revived by the local community in 1967 to help recreate the 12th Century Michaelmass church services and festivities held in the parish.
Following a spectacular opening ceremony there will be the traditional mixture of live music, sporting competitions, fairground, fireworks, illuminations, carnival parade and displays including comic book characters brought to life at venues across the community.
“The growth in the popularity and size of the event over the last 51 years, is all down to the continuing support of local people and the hard work of the community groups and volunteers who work so hard to organise it.”
Chair of the Houghton Feast Steering Group Cllr Anne Lawson said: “We are all proud to support the fantastic annual event celebrating all that is good about our community and the people living here.
The opening ceremony for Houghton Feast – The Greatest Show is on Friday October 5 at The Broadway.
This will see the Mayor of Sunderland Councillor Lynda Scanlan switch on the Houghton Feast lights display at 7pm.
This year’s programme of music, arts, sports, entertainment and community events/activities includes :
– Kay Carman Celebrity Concert Sat 6 October
– Houghton Feast Carnival Parade Saturday 7 October
– Traditional Ox Roast Monday 8 October
– Firework spectacular Monday 8 October
– The Greatest Houghton Feast Variety Show Saturday 13 Oct
– Houghton Fairground in Rectory Field for duration of event
– Houghton Feast Classic Car Show 6 Oct
– ‘Geek Feast’ – A TV, movie, game, comic convention Sun 7 Oct
– Houghton Feast Open Golf Competition /Rugby Match/Open Bowls Tournament Saturday 6 Oct
Supplementary information about the 60 events which make up Houghton Feast 2018: The Greatest Show can be found at https://www.facebook.com/HoughtonFeast